In this article you will learn how to retarget FBX or BVH exported files from Axis Studio to Motionbuilder
Axis Studio Export Settings
File Type: .bvh or .fbx
Skeleton: Maya/MOBU/Human IK
Axis Neuron / Axis Neuron Pro Export Settings
File Type: Select FBX binary
Characterize Mocap Data
Open Motionbuilder and drag in your BVH or FBX
Highlight the skeleton and make sure the timeline is on the first frame. Go to the Properties tab and set all the Rotation values to 0 so that the skeleton is in a perfect T pose
In the Asset Browser, go to Templates --> Characters. Drag the Character asset onto the hips of the character in the Viewport.
Click Characterize --> Biped
If this option does not pop up, delete the character in the outliner and try again
Next, go to the Outliner and rename the character to MOCAP. This is just for organization purposes.Save as a new file.
Characterize Character Model
- Open a new scene and drag in your character's FBX file
- Highlight the skeleton and make sure the timeline is on the first frame
- Go to the Properties tab and set all the Rotation values to 0 so that the skeleton is in a perfect T pose
- If you cannot see your character model’s skeleton, press Ctrl + A
In the Asset Browser:
- Go to Templates --> Characters
- Drag the Character asset onto the hips of the character in the Viewport
Click Characterize --> Biped. If this option does not pop up, delete the character in the Outliner and try again. Then go to your Outliner and rename the character.
Remember to save. I would recommend naming the file CharacterNameCharacterized
Retarget Mocap Data to Character Model
Open a new scene and drag in your characterized motion capture data. Drag in the characterized character model. Click FBX Merge --> All Takes
Next, go to the Outliner and click on the character’s name. Check Active, Change Input Type to Character and Input Source to Mocap. The motion capture data should now drive the target skeleton.
Next, click on Plot Character --> Plot to Skeleton. The animation data is now baked to the character model’s skeleton, and you can delete the mocap data skeleton from Characters and Scenes in the Outliner
Save as a new file.
Getting Ready to Edit
Now just a few more steps before your character is ready for editing in Motion Builder
- First, click on the character in your Navigator
- Click on Plot and this time select Control Rig --> FK/IK
- You can now click on the points on the control rig or on the character controls window to modify your character’s position
Next, go to Animation Layers and add a New Animation Layer. You will primarily want to use this new layer for your animation cleanup.
You now have a character ready for animation cleanup.