Install the Plugin
Click here to download: Maya Plugin | Perception Neuron Motion Capture (neuronmocap.com)
- Click More Info
- Click Run anyway
- Follow the prompts on the installer
Axis Studio Configuration
Open Axis Studio
- Click Main menu --> Settings --> Advanced BVH Broadcasting.
- Enable Capture if you are streaming live data, enable Edit if you are streaming recorded data.
- Choose the correct IP under Local Address and enter a valid net port.
- Click OK to apply the settings.
Now that the settings are correct, open recorded data or connect a device. If you are playing recorded data, make sure to play it on loop.
Axis Neuron and Axis Neuron Pro Configuration
Open Axis Neuron
- Click File --> Settings
- Enable Advanced BVH
- Make sure TCP is selected and that the ServerPort is correct.
Either have mocap equipment set up or have a recorded take on loop.
Load the Plugin
The first thing you need to do after opening Maya is load in the plugin.
- Go to Windows --> Settings/Preferences --> Plug-in Manager.
- Search for "noitom_perception_robot_2022x64.mll" and click Loaded.
- To auto-load the plugin make sure to select Auto Load.
Once the plugin is loaded, go to the Toolbar and click Neuron --> Mocap to open the Neuron Mocap plugin window.
- Input Axis Software's Host IP and Port number to receive real-time data streaming from Axis Software.
- Click Initialize and then Create Skeletons. There will be a T-pose skeleton in the Viewport window if your connection was established successfully.
- Click Characterize to characterize your skeleton.
Next, Import your model. If your character is not already set up with human IK, you will need to do that.
Characterize your Character Model
Bring in your character model.
Make sure the character is in a T-pose.
If the character is not in a perfect T-pose:
- Set the Timeline to frame 0
- Select the hips
- Go to Select --> Hierarchy
- Set all the Rotation values to 0.
In the Human IK window, click the + sign.
If you are using a Mixamo rig:
- Select the character’s hips.
- Click the drop down menu in the blue box in the Human IK window.
- Go to Edit Skeleton Definition --> Load Skeleton Definition --> HIK.
For other rigs, you will need to manually assign the bones
Once the character model is ready, go to the Human IK window. Set Character to your character model and Source to the mocap data.
Click Start mocap. Your model will be driven by your motion data. Click Stop mocap to stop.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when using Maya live.
- Multiple characters are not supported for now.
- You cannot record in Maya, streaming to Maya will just give you an idea of how the performance looks on your character model.