In this article we will provide steps in receiving data from Axis Studio onto our Motion Robot device. Once data is introduced to Motionbuilder, you will then learn how to retarget and record the data for your projects.
- Motionbuilder 2014-2022
- Axis Studio or Axis Neuron
Don't have a motion capture suit? Feel free to download our sample software located in the following link. We include sample mocap files for testing
Users have the option to use pre-recorded data or connect a mocap device. If using pre-recorded data, make sure it is looping
Axis Studio Setup
- Click Main Menu --> Settings --> Advanced BVH Broadcasting
- Enable Capture for live data and Edit for prerecorded data
- Select the Maya/MOBU/Human IK Skeleton preset
- Select TCP
- Choose the correct IP under Local address and enter a valid net port
- Click OK to apply the setting
Axis Neuron Setup
- Go to File --> Settings -->Broadcasting
- Turn on TCP
- Enable Advanced BVH broadcasting and make a note of the port number
Setup Motion Robot
- Open Motionbuilder
- Navigate to Asset Brower >Templates>Devices
- Click and drag the Motion Robot device into the Viewport.
- Configure the corresponding IP address.
- Toggle on Online button to connect to Axis software data. Online button's color will turn green when a successful connection is established. A yellow light is displays if you are connected to Axis application, but you didn’t receive data in the specified amount of time.
- In the Source section all active characters from Axis will be displayed.
- Select a bound model from the Model Binding field, or choose Create to create a model
- Toggle the Live button receive data streaming from Axis application.
- Check Stay In T-Pose before characterizing
- Click the Characterize button
- Drag your character model into the Viewport. Click FBX Merge --> All Takes
- Select your character for Character and NoitomRobot as the Source in the Character Controls panel
- Unclick Stay in T-Pose
When the Recording option for a Motion robot is active, you can record the data from Axis Studio to the current take shown in the Transport Controls panel
- Click the Record button in the Transport Controls panel
- Click Overwrite
- Click the Play button to start recording
- Click Stop button to finish recording
- Uncheck Live to enter playback mode
- Click the Play button to playback your takes
We recommend not doing more than 4 takes per fbx file.