Axis Studio Export Settings
- Set the File Type to .fbx
- Enable Displacement
- Set the Skeleton to Axis Studio or Axis Studio - Thumb Open if you are importing the data onto the Noitom Robot skeleton (T-pose)
- Set the Skeleton to Unreal Engine if you are importing the data onto the Unreal Engine Mannequin (A-pose)
Importing the FBX into Unreal Engine
When importing an animation into Unreal Engine from your Axis Software, you can choose to attach it to the Noitom Robot or UE4 Mannequin (Axis Studio only) before retargeting it to whatever character you want.
Importing onto the Noitom Robot
Installing the Neuron Live Link Plugin
- First, make sure that the Neuron Live Link Plugin in installed.
- In your Unreal project, go to Windows --> Plugins, and enable the Neuron Live Link plugin.
- In the bottom right corner of the Content Browser, click View Options. Then check, Show Engine Content and Show Plugin Content. Now you will be able to access the Noitom Robot.
Now, drag your FBX into your Content Browser
- Under Mesh --> Skeleton, select your Noitom Robot skeleton
- If you are using Axis Studio, use the Studio_Robot_Skeleton.
- If you are using Axis Neuron or Axis Neuron Pro, use the PN_PNPro_Robot_Skeleton and rotate the FBX 90 degrees in x on import.
- Click Import.
Preparing Skeletons to be retargeted
- Now, double click on the animation to open it.
- In the top right corner, click on the Skeleton tab.
- In the top left, select the Retarget Manager.
- Under Set up a Rig select Humanoid rig and then click Automap.
- Automap will probably not work perfectly, so make sure that all of the bones are properly mapped before proceeding.
- Remember to click Show Advanced to map the fingers.
- In the top left corner, under Preview Mesh, select a skeletal mesh that is compatible with your skeleton.
- Click Apply to Asset.
Open the skeleton of the character you want to retarget to and repeat this process
Remember: both characters must be in a T pose. (Or A-pose if you imported onto the UE4 Mannequin)
- If one of them is not, open that character's skeleton and move the bones into a T-pose. Make sure it looks correct from all angles
- Click Modify Pose --> Use Current Pose
To remap an individual animation, go to your animation file in the content browser.
- Right click --> Retarget Anim Assets --> Duplicate Anim Assets --> Retarget
- Select the character you want to retarget to, what you want to name the new file, and where you want to save it.
- Click Retarget
Your animation is now retargeted to a new character!